- British millionaire jeweller murdered at his Spanish villaPosted 2 weeks ago
- Cyber Cafés in Spain to register users personal details to help fight terorrismPosted 2 weeks ago
- Seven Nigerians sentenced for drugs smuggler’s deathPosted 2 weeks ago
- Worst weekend of the year for traffic accidents sees 20 deathsPosted 2 weeks ago
- Spain’s striking air-traffic controllers to appear in courtPosted 2 weeks ago
- Spanish court overturn attempt to block music websitePosted 2 weeks ago
- Spain has Europe’s lowest death rate for breast cancerPosted 2 weeks ago
- Barclays to sell its Spanish unitPosted 2 weeks ago
- Doctors recognise they should listen to patients more and show compassionPosted 3 weeks ago
- Spanish mothers call for legislation to allow them breast-feeding in publicPosted 3 weeks ago
Queen Sofia remain home in Mallorca to visit charity aiming to help people find work
The 74-year-old Queen Sofia has remained home at the Marivent Palace in Mallorca.
She is the only member of the Royal family still on the island after their traditional summer holiday.
This week, she visited the Palma headquarters of Catholic charity Caritas, where she asked volunteers about their work and learned more about the courses they provide, mainly aimed at helping people to find work.
Immigrants taking part in Spanish classes got the chance to greet Queen Sofia, who was treated to a taste of “bisap” a traditional drink from Senegal made from hibiscus flowers.
She was accompanied by the President of the Balearic Government, Jose Ramon Bauza and the Mallorca Bishop and Caritas President, Xavier Salinas.
Over the past few weeks, King Juan Carlos, the Infantas Cristina and Elena and Prince Felipe and his family have also visited the island, but they have now left, and the Queen is due to remain in Palma until the end of the month.
Prince Felipe was the last to leave Mallorca, to continue his holidays with his wife and daughters elsewhere after a week on the island where they went sailing and walking in the mountains.
King Juan Carlos only spent three days on the island and blamed his hip rehabilitation as the reason to return to Madrid.