- Air Traffic Control problem delays UK and Spanish flightsPosted 20 hours ago
- Tiger attacks trainer during circus performance in MadridPosted 21 hours ago
- Fake doctor arrested in MalagaPosted 21 hours ago
- Spain’s abortion law restricting pregnancy termination goes into effect by the end of 2013Posted 21 hours ago
- Britons in a repeat meal rut with pastaPosted 21 hours ago
- Avoid the common cold eating fishPosted 22 hours ago
- Monitor denies sex abuse allegationsPosted 2 days ago
- Guardia Civil arrest brothers on gun chargesPosted 2 days ago
- Spain to apply huge fines for drugs use and possessionPosted 2 days ago
- Supermarket giant Eroski to sell shops in southern SpainPosted 2 days ago
Queen Sofia remain home in Mallorca to visit charity aiming to help people find work
The 74-year-old Queen Sofia has remained home at the Marivent Palace in Mallorca.
She is the only member of the Royal family still on the island after their traditional summer holiday.
This week, she visited the Palma headquarters of Catholic charity Caritas, where she asked volunteers about their work and learned more about the courses they provide, mainly aimed at helping people to find work.
Immigrants taking part in Spanish classes got the chance to greet Queen Sofia, who was treated to a taste of “bisap” a traditional drink from Senegal made from hibiscus flowers.
She was accompanied by the President of the Balearic Government, Jose Ramon Bauza and the Mallorca Bishop and Caritas President, Xavier Salinas.
Over the past few weeks, King Juan Carlos, the Infantas Cristina and Elena and Prince Felipe and his family have also visited the island, but they have now left, and the Queen is due to remain in Palma until the end of the month.
Prince Felipe was the last to leave Mallorca, to continue his holidays with his wife and daughters elsewhere after a week on the island where they went sailing and walking in the mountains.
King Juan Carlos only spent three days on the island and blamed his hip rehabilitation as the reason to return to Madrid.